Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Ever just have one on those moments?

As I stood on the edge of the hill watching, but not moving out of the way of, the little boy flying my way, who had placed his sled accidentally in the wrong direction before heading straight towards a tree, and what looked like his untimely demise; I lost all capability to move. I stood there frozen as he rushed closer to me and the tree, "OMG!" was all I could think - but not even muster out loud.

As he missed the death tree by a hair, I let out a huge sigh of relief. That is until he pummeled right into my poor little 2 year old who had been taking her time walking up the slippery slope just a few feet behind me - and the tree. She flew up into the air like a rag doll, and still I stood there - motionless. When she fell back down on to the boy who, after hitting her, had now come to a dead halt, I finally regained consciousness and ran towards her as fast as I could.

So - days later - she's fine, not even a bruise. Though she's not one for sledding anymore, can't seem to convince her that little boys on sleds don't always ram into you when your on your way up the hill.

So you know that lesson you learned when you were younger, 'stay near the trees when walking up the hill to avoid other sledders' - it's a lie, walk wherever you want, just be ready to jump out of the way.